SCBWI NZ Five Questions - Author Rachel Weston

This month SCBWI interviews author Rachel Weston 

I'm Rachel, and I live in the beautiful Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, on a kiwifruit orchard with my husband Stu, our three children, two dogs and a horse.

What is your writing day like? When and how do you create?

Mornings are my most productive time and when I have the most energy. I find walking helps my creative process; I mull over ideas and let my mind wander where it will. Walking is also helpful for my mental, physical and emotional health, so that I can create. When I’m really into the flow of a story I’ll often end up writing in the evenings too. 

Regarding creating, I choose an idea that’s been simmering away in the background and just start writing. It’s always surprising what ends up on the page! There’s a time for structure and process, but first comes imagination and creativity. 

 

Where do your best ideas come from? How do you develop them further?


Mainly from life’s experiences and noticing nature. When a word or story idea jumps out at me, I write it down on anything nearby like a napkin, iPhone ‘notes’, back of a pasta box (that I’m using for dinner) or yell it out to one of the kids to write down while I’m driving! Some ideas come during that fleeting moment between being asleep and waking up, when you’re semiconscious, but not fully awake. 

I develop ideas by jotting down words and key sentences etc. It’s all very scribbly at the beginning with arrows, lines, circles, crossed out words, made up words and some unreadable words! After this ‘get it all down on paper’ process, I start typing the story.

 

What is the work you are most proud of so far? Why?


I think I would say I am proud of the learning and perseverance. I used to feel embarrassed about saying I was I self-published, due to the stigma that comes with self publishing. I’m not embarrassed anymore. I am proud of the work I have produced, what I have learnt, what I’ve achieved and of the hard work and dedication it has taken to get here.

 

What is something you dream of achieving with your work?


One would be to see my work overseas.

 

What is one thing you would say to aspiring children’s writers?


Just keep swimming! 

 


New book:

‘Kiwi Bees Have Tiny Knees’ is my latest children’s book, published 5th of September. It’s the first comprehensive book about New Zealand’s 28 native bees – ngaro huruhuru. I learnt so much through the research, writing and production of this book. I’m so excited to know children will be learning about Aotearoa’s gentle little bees, who are crucial pollinators to our native plants and trees. They’re super cool little bee-bops!


Rachel’s website is at - https://www.rachelweston.co.nz/ where you can buy her books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register for a Region on the SCBWI website

SCBWI NZ Five Questions - Illustrator Aki Fukuoka

Public Lending Rights - Where are we up to? by Sherryl Clark