Cover Stories review by Sherryl Clark

(Speaker: Illustrator, Lisa Allen, hosted by SCBWI New Zealand)


I was looking forward to this session – the one thing I know about cover design as an author is that I really have no idea. Not just about design elements, but also about trends and what attracts readers to pick up a book.
Lisa’s session was so informative and clear! Lots of great information about the foundations of design – how we read, how our eyes track across a cover (or a page), what different colours signify, and all the parts of a cover. Spines are so important. I have seen several self-published books with the title and author going the wrong way. The full cover needs to include the blurb and barcode on the back. One of my favourite things in the session was seeing how some children’s book designers have made the barcode into something with fun.
I enjoyed all the cover samples, and seeing how design has changed over the years. There were so many useful bits of advice that I am going to go back and watch the recording as well. I’ve seen a wide range of webinars over the past few years, and this was one of the best. Well done, Lisa and SCBWI NZcrew. (Especially for soldiering on when there was a tech problem at the start.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register for a Region on the SCBWI website

Public Lending Rights - Where are we up to? by Sherryl Clark

Self-Publishing Picture Books Webinar by Sherryl Clark